Costa Rica Travel Center Last Updated: May 23rd, 2012 - 17:32:56

How do I replace a lost or stolen passport while in Costa Rica?
By US Embassy
Feb 9, 2006, 12:59

Email this article
 Printer friendly page

Explore Costa is Costa Rica's online English language daily newspaper, featuring Costa Rica News, Costa Rica Events, Central America News, Costa Rica Weather, Costa Rica Travel, Costa Rica BusinessCosta Rica Real Estate, Costa Rica Hotels, SurfingFishingGolf Tournaments, for all those traveling or living in Costa Rica.

Costa Rica Travel Center: Travel Tips:

How do I replace a lost or stolen passport while in Costa Rica?

You will need to come to the American Citizen Services Unit of the U.S. Embassy, Monday 8:00 AM-11:30 AM and 1:00 PM-3:00 PM or Tuesday-Friday: 8:00 AM-11:30 AM except during U.S. and Costa Rican Holidays, and fill out a form DS-64, Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport. At that time you can fill out an application for a new passport. Please bring the police report, if you have one.  You will also need to bring 2 passport-sized photos and a fee of $85 (age 16 and over) or $70 (15 and younger) to replace your lost or stolen passport.

What kind of photos do I need for my passport?

You will need 2 recent, identical passport-sized (5x5 cm) photographs which must:

- Measure 2 x 2 inches (5 x 5 cm) (vending machine photos are generally not acceptable)
- Be identical
- Have been taken within the past 6 months, showing current appearance
- Be color or black and white
- Be full face, front view with a plain white or off-white background
- Have an image measuring between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head
- Be taken in normal street attire (uniforms should not be worn in photos except religious attire that is worn daily)
- Be taken without a hat or headgear that obscures the hair or hairline
- Note: If you normally wear prescription glasses, a hearing device, wig or similar articles, they should be worn for your picture; dark glasses or non-prescription glasses with tinted lenses are not acceptable unless you need them for medical reasons. (A medical certificate may be required.)

A photographer able to take appropriate photographs is available at the U.S. Embassy for a nominal fee (currently 1000 colones).

Costa Rica News | Costa Rica Real Estate | Living & Retiring 
Promote YOUR Costa Rica Business & Link to YOUR Website:Get A
Business Information Page
Add Your Costa Rica Business, Costa Rica Tours & Costa Rica Hotel FREE!

Have a Comment, Story
Experience or Tip to Contribute?


© Copyright 2004 by

Top of Page